Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day Four -- We Found the Herd!

Day four started with another stop at the Journey Museum. Lyla had a great time in the star room again and enjoyed the aerial view video she slept through yesterday. She also liked seeing the stuffed wildlife we somehow missed yesterday. She really loves to learn new things and I'm grateful to Masud for always finding things that suit her interests wherever we go.


After the museum we went to Taco Bell and then settled into the car for a trip through Custer State Park. Lyla was less than excited, but at least she had eaten lunch and wasn't uber crabby. The DVD player always helps too. 

When we went on Sunday, we saw four buffalo in the grass and a few pronghorns. Lyla asked me, "Mom, don't these people know they have to take care of their environment?! Why are they cutting down all the trees?" As we passed several felled trees. I was proud of her for asking the question and for thinking like a conservationist at such a young age. 

We've been to the park many times, but we've never seen the whole herd up close, not like we did when I came as a kid and they were all over the road and right next to the car. I hoped we would see them today, but didn't get my hopes up. 

We drove through Iron Mountain Road and the pig tail bridges today. Lyla fell asleep so I got time to snuggle with Amir. I feel like he and I don't get enough time one on one since she's always begging for my attention and if he's home, she's home. Sure, I feed him all the time, but that's not the same as snuggling. 


I think Amir likes our snuggle time too. 


"Lyla's still asleep mom. We're thumbs up for snuggle time!"



Shortly after getting onto the wildlife loop we saw part of the herd off in the distance. We didn't wake Lyla because they were too far off in the distance to really see anything. Masud and I got out for a couple minutes and then kept driving. There was a huge traffic jam ahead as we came over a ridge and we wondered why people were stopping. We soon found out -- because they had to! A huge herd of buffalo was on the road and on either side of the cars. It was awesome to see them up close, but a little scary too. 








Both kids liked seeing the buffalo. Lyla has started to like taking pictures and Amir got bery excited to look out the window. he had a huge grin on his face as several mom and baby pairs walked by. He has been very interested in the park all week and watching him observe the buffalo was exciting. After navigating our way free from the jam, we went on and found the friendly burros!




It was a great day in the park. We made a stop at the farm one more time. Lyla got to bottle feed a goat and a calf. And we caught one last pig race too!



We've had a great time! Relaxed fun, sleeping late and good family times. Who could ask for anything more!

No comments:

Post a Comment