Thursday, September 18, 2014

Happy Birthday Amir -- 22 Weeks!


Our little man is officially 5 months now! Today one of my friends at work brought in her month old baby (who was actually a few ounces bigger than Amir at birth). Compared to her I could really see how much he's grown! Even looking at earlier pictures in my pump kit today seemed strange. He's such a fast-growing and strong little guy. I love him SO much! 


He is getting more confident at sitting up this week. He does very well with some support, but sitting on his own is new. I think he's doing a great job! I love seeing his big smiles back now that he is feeling a little better. It wasn't as though he was unhappy last week, but he wasn't his smiley self. 

Since introducing soy formula last week he has had better diapers ... Really no fewer, but better in that they aren't green and he doesn't seem to be straining. He definitely doesn't like when his diaper is dirty and it's really the only time he fusses. He has been on formula at Faye's all week and I have nursed him just a little before bed and over night. His diaper rash is back with a vengeance today for some reason and Faye and I are baffled. Maybe it's teeth? Or my vitamins/colace? Faye told me to cut out the Diet Coke, but  I don't think I have it in me to give up dairy AND diet coke. 

I'm on day two of dairy free to try and keep lactose out of his system. Earlier this week I tried to convince myself to stop nursing altogether and just accept that I wouldn't be able to keep feeding him. With everything I have to manage, a dairy free diet just didn't seem like it would fit in. Tuesday I suffered through engorgement and pumped for only a few minutes during each session (and got more milk than i have in weeks... seriously body?). I even hand expressed just a little milk while at a doctor appointment for Lyla in the afternoon. That night though, Amir just wanted to nurse and I couldn't say no. He didn't nurse too long since I had given him some formula, but he clearly wants his boob time, even if it's just for comfort. 


Wednesday I was a sobbing mess in the lactation room and realized I am just not ready to stop feeding him completely. Sometimes feeding him is the only time I get with just  him, and I need those cuddles just as much as he does. Last night I tried giving him a bottle when we got home. He poked around and drank about three ounces, then attacked my shirt as if to say, "just give me the goods lady!" So here I am, dairy free, dreaming about ice cream and salivating over Lyla's Hershey bars. I know my supply will wane eventually and it won't be too long before I won't have any milk to give him, but until then, I'll do what I can. I'm saving the milk I pump each day and will hopefully be able to use it later as a mix in for foods or cereal once his system has some time to heal. I just can't bear to waste it!

Amir says, "I am a very serious baby.  I enjoy lounging on my boppy to discuss intellectual topics."


"Just kidding! Ain't nobody got time for that! I want to play!"


We've been having lots of fun playing with Amir these days. He likes to play peek a boo and giggles and laughs every time we hide. Earlier this week he had no idea that he could pull the blanket over his head  but tonight he figured it out and would pull his taggie blanket off his face and give a little chuckle. It's just so fun! And, of course, he can't get enough of Lyla. He watches her wherever she goes and loves to play with her. Tonight they had  reading one together and music time. We sing our ECFE songs and Amir is catching on. He like the various spider songs and the "her today" song. Lyla also brought him a puzzle tonight. She was trying to teach him what to do, but he  kept eating the piece instead -- not worry, it was a chunky puzzle he couldn't swallow.



He still loves the jumpy and standing up. Tonight he stood in him crib and pushed his animals over the railing. He isn't 100% solid, but does fairly well. He had applesauce today and liked it lots.



It's so fun to watch Amir explore the world. He's such a fun loving baby. These milestones are great, but they also remind me how fast he's growing up. Five months already??  He'll be one before I know it! All the more reason to nurse, snuggle, and cuddle him while I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment