Today was our first day in Kentucky. Lyla was excited to pet a kangaroo, so we went to the Kentucky Down Under Zoo. When we got there, we were excited to see chicks and some stuffed Australian animals. I knew it was going to be a fun day!
Lyla and I were charmed by this friendly golden Chinese pheasant. He was beautiful! Amir preferred the chickens. They were excited to see him too, and got a little too friendly.
One of the chickens bit him. Great! He only cried for a minute and it didn't leave a mark. The kukaburas were a lot of fun. When you made a 'rolled r' sound, they would laugh and laugh. It was hilarious -- and infectious!
We saw an animal show and then it was time for the cave tour. We got to wear helmet with lights on them. Masud and I thought they were cool, but Lyla only wanted a flashlight. There were no lights in the cave, so you had to bring a light.
While we waited for the tour to start, Lyla fell and scraped her knee. It bled, but only a little. We volunteered to be last in line so we could take our time in the cave. Good thing because it was dark, wet, and slippery. Not to mention, we had a toddler in tow.
My sunglasses fell over the side of the path at one point, so I handed over Amir and got down on my hand and knees to retrieve them. I thought that was an adventure, but nope! While Masud was holding Amir, Lyla wen on ahead. She didn't get far, but by the time we handed off th eBay, she had stepped off the path and gotten her shoe and foot stuck in a hole! She was scared and crying as Masud pulled her foot out and tried to get her shoe out too. I tried to keep my helmet light on them, but it was hard since Amir was wiggling. Thankfully, she wasn't hurt, but after that she was ready to be done.
We did well navigating the rest of the cave. I was glad I chose a helmet since there were several places where I would have hit my head otherwise. There were a w places I could hardly get through holding Amir. Who knew?! The reviews said it was an easy tour. Maybe it would have been had we not had such an eventful start. Th entice lady ahead of us in the pack took this awesome picture of us. "It turned out great," she told me when she handed back the camera.
Yep, that was it! Too funny. I love it even though it's blurry. It documented our cave your pretty well, actually. After we got back above ground, we stopped on a bench, broke out the sodas and did a little first aid on Lyla's knee. Amir was a great helper and carried both flashlights back to the visitor center.
Next up was the Outback Walkabout area. We got to walk through the habitat and go off the trail with a guide. Amir loved the tortoises and kangaroos. Lyla wasn't disappointed by the feeding experience, and I was amazed how soft they were. It was fun despite being hot and sweaty.
After the walkabout, we got lunch at the little snack stand. We don't usually eat at attractions, but the kids were both melting and needed food. I had a delicious turkey ranch wrap I shared with Amir. Masud had a sloppy joe and Lyla had a burger. After she was done, she got in the stroller with her coke to head on to the next section. It rolled backward just enough that she fell backwards off the cement platform and spilled her coke all over. Thankfully she wasn't hurt (again). She was upset and hot and sweaty, not to mention popless. I thought the lorikeets would be a fun end to the visit.
Lyla was terrified and ran back to the zoo keeper. After about a minute in the enclosure. Amir did better, but after a bird landed on him, he got scared too. I'll admit it was a little un-nerving having them on your head and arms and shoulders. Once the cup of nectar was gone, I swear the one on my shoulder was licking the sweat off my neck. It was a very strange feeling! Masud and I actually had a great time with the birds!
They had all kinds of carved sculptures. After we got out of the cave, we walked by this eagle sculpture and Amir said "Grandpa!" He is with us everywhere!
After the bird experience, we were ready to go. Masud saved the day by letting Lyla ride down a huge hill in the stroller as though she was a bobsledder. She loved it and they laughed all the way down. It was certainly an adventure to remember!




















No comments:
Post a Comment