Wednesday, December 24, 2014

'Twas the Week Before Christmas ...


Last weekend we were all sick. We snuggled in bed with our blankies and tortillas. Amir was feeling better on Sunday and decided to make a break for the tree. He didn't get too far, but he tried! Way to go little man!


On Monday Lyla's Christmas wish came true ... She got her Frozen bike! She and I had a girls afternoon and put the bike together before picking up Amir. He was excited to play with the box and wrapping paper while Lyla and I tightened a few bolts (thanks, Faye for the wrench!). And then she took off down the hall! It was a truly awesome and special moment to see her so proudly riding on her own!




One more piece of art. Lyla made me this sweet card and ornament at school. 


We woke up very exited for Christmas Eve today! The kids liked finding the chocolate Santas in door 24 of their calendars. The month has sure flown by!


We had breakfast together at the table. Amir even had a piece of toast!

"Just a minute, Mom. I need to take care of something."


"Hey you! Yeah, you with the buttery garlic toast! Hands on your own plate. Don't make me come over there! The nerve of some people!"


"So sorry about that. You were saying?"


After breakfast and some email (I had to work), Lyla and I made ultimate cookie bars for Great Grandma's gift. I can't believe how grown up she looks in this picture! And she did the whole cookie top by herself!


Amir watched.


Then they tried on their new hats.


After a day of waiting and waiting and waiting, Mom and Dad came over around 4 for dinner. Lyla couldn't wait to show them her bike, of course!


I was a little worried about making dinner up to holiday standards, but I thought the simple table was pretty and everyone seemed to enjoy their meatballs and twice baked potatoes. 


The kids got to open their gifts from family friends. We are so grateful to have such a loving support network for our kiddos. Lyla loved her new watch, fairy wings, book and Frozen care package. And, of course, her new Frozen bike helmet. Amir was a little overwhelmed, but seemed excited by the tissue paper and loved figuring out each toy as he got help unwrapping them. 






After presents, Lyla and Mom played fairy princess wedding.


Amir did a workout. He actually worked up a sweat doing push-ups all on his own!

"I gotta work off those mandarin oranges and two bites of graham cracker, Mom!"


Tomorrow will be a fun day. Today was busy, but I got to spend time with each of the kiddos one on one. I took Amir out shopping and Lyla and I read her new book and a few others on the couch after the boys went to bed. I am proud of myself for planning dinner well and not spending the whole night in the kitchen like I usually do. It let me enjoy the time more and have everything neat again before the night was over. Thanks, stress coach Barb for reminding me to just take a few deep breaths. 

Now off to bed so Santa can come!

No comments:

Post a Comment