Sunday, December 14, 2014

Misadventures in Holiday Baking

Lyla wanted to make a Frozen gingerbread castle today, so we made the cookies and whipped up a batch of royal icing to put it together. I thought it would be fun to give Amir the spatula and he had lots of fun playing with it. 





We had one piece of cookie that looked like a mustache and we took turns sticking it to our faces. 



It was all fun and games until I noticed Amir's face was turning red and he was getting a rash. I raced to wash him off, to see what was going on. He had small bumps and red welts all over his face and hands. His eyes were both puffy and the more he itched his chest the redder it got. This is what egg allergies look like, my friends. The pictures don't show nearly how red he was. I was freaking out.




After about 45 minutes and some hydrocortisone cream he was looking a little better, but he also had a rash on the inside of his elbow. Thankfully the rash subsided and by the time he went to bed he was mostly rash free and more concerned with getting his bottle than itching his eyes or chest. Thank God he didn't really eat any icing or have a respiratory reaction. We'll not make the raw egg mistake again!


And our sugar cookie ice palace turned out well!





Sugar and spice and everything nice ... And hives! So fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment