Monday, August 18, 2014

4 Month Doctor Visit


Amir had his 4 month doctor visit today. He weighed in at 17 lbs. 2oz. and was 27inches long. His head circumference was 17 inches. That puts him in the 85 - 90th percentiles. 

It was just him and me at the appointment this time. He was a little hungry while we waited for the doctor so I gave him a little snack. Amir wasn't happy when he had to stop eating and get checked out, but he did well anyway. Dr. Yunis checked his ears as best he could since Amir followed I'm wherever he put the light. Arbor also reached out and grabbed the doctor's stethoscope while he was attempting to listen to him. He easily demonstrated all of this month's skills and a lot of others. When I checked the list there were a few eight month skills like reaching for an object with both hands that he does all the time. When Dr. Yunis up Amir on his tummy to check his head control, Amir grabbed the paper off the table in both hands and held on to it when the doctor picked him up again. He was having a eat time playing with it and trying to eat it until Dr. Yunis took it away from him so he could come mist b me again. Overall Amir is developing very well. 

We talked about his rash and continuing to put creams and hydrocortisone on it. I have been shy about the steroids,  but since the rash has started to affect Amir's pigment, Dr. Yunis said I should find a balance between that and the cream. The rash is definitely better, but it is unlikely to clear up any time soon.

We talked about starting Amir on solids. Dr. Yunis wasn't concerned about Amir's growth at all and confirmed that he is obviously getting what he needs since he is growing well an on the same curve he has always followed. He suggested giving Amir more milk at a time during the day to see if having his tummy a little fuller might keep him satisfied longer. Maybe tomorrow we can try two six ounce bottles instead on three 4 ouncers. As we talked through the options, he and I agreed that if Amir truly is still hungry after finishing his milk then it would be better to give him formula (which is nutritionally rich) at this point than start cereal (which might fill his tummy a little but doesn't offer much nutrition). He also cautioned against adding traditional first foods like cereal and sweet potatoes too soon since Amir already only poops twice a week. He is at a higher risk of constipation and I definitely want to avoid that if at all possible (it wasn't fun for Lyla!). I plan to go as long as I can exclusively breast feeding, but since I have my first work trip next month, starting to supplement is inevitable. I'm working on trying not to feel guilty about it. 

After the doctor we stopped at TJ Maxx and I got Amir his first pair of shoes. Then we came home and had some snuggle time, dinner, and a bath before Masud and Lyla got home from Valleyfair. Once the family was all together, we watched the much-anticipated "Daniel gets a new baby sister" episode of Daniel Tiger. Even though Lyla has started to outgrow the show, it never hurts to have a little reinforcement that "you can be a big helper in your family". 

No comments:

Post a Comment