Yesterday I took Lyla for her reading assessment at school. She picked a cute outfit, put in some hairspray, and stopped at the local bakery in preparation. It was fun to see her get so excited about school. We got there a couple minutes early and she read one of the practice books. When it was her turn, she went in and I walked up and down the hall to get in some steps.
When she was done, she got a giant sticker ribbon saying "great work!" Her teacher said she had improved her reading level over the summer and did very well. You go, girl! I was SO proud of her.
When I came home to pick her up for her port flush, she showed me a tooth she lost! It had been loose, but not ready to come out. She pushed it a little too hard trying to open some play dough with her teeth and "it was blood city Mom." Thank God Masud was the one who had to deal with it!
Today was her last day home with Daddy and last day of the summer. She partied hearty. After a long day, I came home to red paint all over the carpet, baking soda scattered here and there to try and fix it, a bunch of wet towels she used to try and clean up that mess and the one from her Easy Bake Oven adventure, and some less-than-delectable treats (not baked and soggy). Masud had warned me about the paint, but seeing it was still an UGH moment.
Oh well, it's just paint, right?! No big deal, it will come out eventually. Masud left to teach class all handsome in his instructor polo. Lyla and I went to pick up Amir and go to the library to pick up the next Little House book. As we were talking with the librarian, I realized she had cut her hair today too. Not a chunk out of her bangs, thankfully, but enough that her front hair on both sides was chin length, while the back was still long. I suppose she cut as far as she could reach. Awesome.
So we came home for dinner, called the salon, and went in for a haircut at 7:30 pm when Amir should already have been asleep. Fun times! Lyla wanted her hair short and asked the stylist to cut it. We were going to go for shoulder length to blend in Lyla's cut job, but she wanted it shorter and was excited to donate it, so she went all the way!
Amir and I waited and waited. He did great considering it was way past his bed time.
The it was time for the big reveal...
She donated 8 inches of hair!! Made my day completely turn around. I was crazy over the day's NORMAL SIX YEAR OLD STUFF, and then it all turned around when my amazing girl, who once had almost no hair, chose to donate her hair to another child in need. It was an emotional moment for me. Do you know how long we waited for her to have that hair?! She LOVES her new 'do and can't wait to surprise everyone at school.
So proud of you Miss Lyla Mavis. Just so proud, grateful, and humbled that you are my kid. I love you!

















No comments:
Post a Comment