Saturday, September 26, 2015

Taste of Scan-Day-Navia!


Lyla had a scan yesterday and it was a big deal. After having more than 30 scans in the past amost five years, this time she tried it without sedation. Yep -- my incredibly brave 6 year old laid in a machine, strapped to the table with headphones, goggles, and a head cage on for 65 minutes while they did the scan. She was AMAZING. She prefers to be sedated, but tried it this time just to see. 

She did great for the first part, but once they pulled her out to flush in the contrast dye, she started to lose it. I could see her chin quivering as they moved the table back into the machine. About 10 minutes later they stopped the machine and I could hear her crying inside. It took a couple minutes to get her out and unhooked and she was screaming and flailing to "Just get me out of here!" It was one of the more awful things i have seen her go through. I scooped her up off the table and hurried back to the room to give her some privacy and a chance to cry out the fear she had held back. She was hot and her whole body was sweaty. She said she felt like her neck was in fire.


A cool washcloth, her own pajamas, and a coke helped her feel better. Since she didn't have anesthesia, we didn't have to wait to leave, so we pretty much just packed up and got the heck out of there. We got in the car, called Daddy and headed for McDonald's where Lyla had four meats and the better part of a large fry (it was noon and she hadn't eaten since 8pm). We killed some time at Target and made our way to the clinic. Lyla had fun shooting a Shopkins opening video while we waited for the doctor.


Dr. Bendel came in and said they got enough images on the scan Lyla completed to see that things look stable. The with-contrast images they got were blurry since Lyla was crying and therefore not entirely still for them, but the regular without- contrast ones were fine.

This month's is on the left, June on the right. I used to think her tumor looked like a whale, but this time I see more of a snail. It's that white part in the center.


The radiologist agreed that the scan is stable but pointed out a cloudy spot (see the bottoming area of the right side circle). It was there in June too and isn't anything to be concerned about, but is something they will watch. Lyla has some other scarring in the same region and I also saw her screws for the first time. I didn't even know she had screws in there, but apparently she does! I had never seen this view before.


After we got the good news and Dr. Bendel finished the exam, we headed out and found ?Grandpa waiting for us on the benches outside the clinic! He brought Lyla a box of donuts and surprised her with her favorite Shopkin, D'Lish Donut! She certainly earned some sugar after a traumatic day!!


 Scan days are always hard, but this one was especially trying for both of us. She did so very well and was so brave in the machine. She always gives it her best and tries anything we ask of her. When things don't go well, I feel very guilty for what I have put her through over the years, and those aren't happy feelings. Still, we got good news and she knows I love her more than life itself. We ended the day with a spaghetti dinner and family Survivor time. Then she and I watched her Shopkins video and had a Cheerio fight before bed. I'm so lucky to sleep next to my hero every night. 

1 comment:

  1. You can tell Lyla I know how she felt! I bet she did feel like her neck was on fire. Most of the contrast dyes I've had make your whole body feel like it is on fire from the inside out when they inject them. The dyes are AWFUL! I can do the scans fine but hate when it is time to inject the dye. The only good thing about the dyes is you know it is almost over then! She was a BRAVE girl!

    ReplyDelete