Friday, June 5, 2015

Busy Day Ends with "Dream Night" at the Zoo

After pancakes at Faye's, we got Lyla on the bus and the busy day began. Amir had his appointment at the allergist today, then we had the Get Up and Go school walk-a-thon, then a visit to hem/Onc for a port flush, and finally to the zoo for Dream Night.



Amir did great during his test thanks to a bubble gum Dum Dum. He was sticky all over, but it was the perfect distraction. The skin test showed not allergies to eggs, milk, or peanuts, but did show he is allergic to dust mites. We got a long list of things we have to do to keep things dust free -- including washing any blankies and stuffed animals in hot water every month. Blankies I wash anyway, but the list said if the animal can't be washed, throw it away.


He looked pretty cute waiting for his blood draw at the hospital. There is no reliable skin test for chick peas, so he had to have another venous draw. He did an amazing job. He cried when they poked him, but by the time they were done drawing, he was just watching. Great work, little man! We should have results in a week or so.

I dropped Amir back at Faye's then went home to work for a few hours before it was time for Lyla's school walk-a-thon. I also did a very thorough vacuuming. Since I had to pick her up for her port flush, I went a little early and got to be part of the Get Up and Go! 


We had fun walking the track and trying the various obstacles like the bubble walk, limbo, hula hoops, and cereal balancing. I gave Lyla a piggy back ride for almost a full lap. Good thing I had my belt on! The kids raised $7,000+ for new playground equipment!

Next up was hem/Onc. Lyla had a port flush and a Popsicle and we were on our way. I asked Sarah about the hot flashes and she said she would check with Dr. Bendel. Lyla was asleep in the nurse's office when I got to school today after zonking out on the floor during rest time. Hopefully it's nothing, Sarah suspected maybe blood sugar is the culprit.



To close out a very busy day, we headed to the zoo for "Dream Night". It's a private event for kids with disabilities and their families. We enjoyed a picnic dinner of hotdogs, chips, and ice cream sandwiches. Amir ate a whole 1/4 pound hotdog!lyla's favorite part was the bun. Before we left dinner Amir was covered in ice cream and diet coke. At least he had fun!






Bth of our junior zoologists a had a great time looking at the special exhibits and animal encounters they had out for the event. If one of them doesn't end up a scientist I will be very surprised. Lyla can't get enough animal facts and Amir is fascinated by every new animals he meets. 


If you're tired, hot, and sweaty look at the camera! Mr. Grouper, you are a fish, I don't think you can be sweaty... But we'll give it to you.



On the way out we each got a stuffed tiger. Lyla named hers Amira (it's Amir with an A on the end, Mom). Amir was happy to have tiger twins to snuggle on the way home. After washing up and some drinks, the kids were off to bed! I bandged the painful broken blisters on my feet in the hopes they'll feel better tomorrow. I wore my keens for the walk, but had to switch to flip flops for the zoo because I couldn't take the rubbing anymore. Hopefully they heal soon. I don't know how much longer I can wear flip flops without my hips getting out of whack!

1 comment:

  1. Danny is allergic to dust mites too and it's not so bad but couple explain why Amir's been sick with respiratory stuff so much...you just got to keep it vaccuumed and dusted better and like the doctor said, bedding laundered often. Easier said than done! For your flip flop issue, have you heard of Sanuks? I just got a pair of their flip flops they are my new favorite shoe. They are really cushy and have more support than a regular one (including a strap that goes around the back of your foot so you're not having to grip your toes to the shoe all the time). Check em out: https://www.sanuk.com/womens-sandals/yoga-sling-2/SWS10001.html I got mine at REI Bloomington/Richfield but I've seen them at DSW before too.

    ReplyDelete