Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday Night Tube Free!

It's Tuesday night and Lyla is tube free! After a fun morning of bubbles and TV, she and I took a nap together on the bed. We all thought it was a good idea to make sure Lyla was rested since breathing on her own is likely to wear her out a little tonight. I climbed into be with her and we slept through her last two hours intubated and her final medi neb treatment.

Lyla was a champ as they peeled the tape off her face. It took her a while to settle down after they pulled out the tube, but she is a different kid without sedation and a tube down her throat. Within an hour she was sitting up, smiling and doing stickers from child life. She's tired now that she's been breathing on her own for a while, but she is MUCH more comfortable than she was yesterday.

RT still comes to do nebs and percussion. Lyla is on about 5 liters of oxygen through a high flow nasal cannula. We will stay here in picu so they can observe her and make sure she's ok without breathing support, but once they feel comfortable that she will be able to remain tube free they will move us to the floor.

I'm so proud of Lyla! Over the past week she has been through so much more than any kid should go through, especially one who has already paid her dues in the picu, that I can't help but admire her perseverance. Love you kiddo!

Picu pics: napping, smiling, happy to hug grandpa, chillaxin' tube free





2 comments:

  1. Best news I've heard in a LONG time! Way to go Lyla! We sure love you and are thinking of you ALL the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Lyla! You keep on getting better sweetie!

    ReplyDelete