Wednesday, February 5, 2014

SO Much Fun

We've had a week full of "SO much fun" was can hardly stand it. (This phrase is our standard sarcastic expression of enthusiasm for things that are really not so fun.)

Friday I got a call from Faye saying Lyla had a fever of 102.2 so I had to pick her up and take her for antibiotics. SO much fun! Thankfully the clinic was still open so we didn't have to go to the ER and Lyla was able to hang out in the clinic while we waited to see the doctor. They took blood cultures and viral cultures of her boogers. The snot was the worst part since they had to squirt saline in her nose and then suction it out. He we ever made it through a trach or deep auctioning through her nose I will never mine because Lyla HATED having the suction done. 

After we saw the doc we were finally Abel to get her some Tylenol and then she started feeling better. We went home with steroids for her cold and spent the ret of the day resting on the couch. Grandma and Grandpa came to visit on Saturday since we needed to stay chill at home. Lyla was very happy for the visit and had a legitimately fun time. We were supposed to go to their house for Dad's birthday, but stayed home instead. 

Lyla was hyper from the steroids, SO much fun! And also had a dry emotional and sleepless weekend. Apparently these are all typical side effects of steroids for kids her age. The lack of sleep combined with cabin fever was making me a little crazy by Sunday, so instead of watching the Super Bowl we too a family trip to Aldi and had pizza on the couch. Lyla turned the couch into a "salon where we make men into beautiful women" and gave Masud a makeover. After he was beautified, she asked him to it some makeup (crayons) on her. They were very stylish! And so cute playing together.


Monday night she seemed to sleep a little better, but still didn't sleep through the night. Masud and I took turns getting up, but after three nights of disturbed sleep, I was totally exhausted on Tuesday when, surprise, I had a last minute team dinner at work (client in town). Thankfully Lyla already had dinner plans to celebrate Grandpa's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD! I love you!

Then today we had even MORE fun when Lyla's teacher called about half an hour into the school day to say Lyla was not using her left hand or arm and that she as dragging her left foot a lot and falling continuously. She was fine when I left her at daycare, so I was very surprised and worried but the sudden change. I immediately thought she might have had a stroke and called the clinic who, of course, wanted us to come in right away. 

I packed up my work stuff and called Masud on the way to school. We were both totally freaked out and I was a crying mess. By the time I got to school I was probably dehydrated from all the crying, but a least I got it out enough to pull myself together and out on a happy face for Lyla.

Her teacher met me outside the class and explained that the symptoms seemed to have gone away and that she promised she would not have called if she wasn't genuinely concerned, which I totally believe. Lyla seemed ok, but was a little wobbly and seemed to in-toe a little more than usual.  I tried my best to watch her and notice anything that might be strange/stroke related. Her behavior was fine and there were no eye issues or face issues, so I breathed a sigh of relief. 

I felt a little silly at the clinic, but Masud and I agreed it was better to take her than risk it. He cancelled all of his appointments to be available run case they wanted any tests or scans, but I told him it was ok to wait it out at the office since she seemed mostly ok. 

After a visit with the NP and a call to consult Dr. Bendel, we were okayed to come home and just keep an eye on Lyla. Since she has a scan scheduled on Friday anyway and it's not a simple thing to get her in to CT, they were comfortable waiting. I was ok with it too, but still worried about Lyla. They will do some additionally scanning on Friday to check the vascular system in Lyla's brain. It should tell us whether or not there are any blood flow issues we need to be concerned about/watch for.

We got pizza and sticks on the way home and then ate and took a good rest/nap together on the big bed. We are both exhausted and poor Pandy is probably exhausted too. We're off to bed shortly, hopefully for a good night's sleep all around. Here's hoping we can get through the week without any other scares/weird scan results/or other FUN so we can have some real fun at the Hem/Onc winter fun fest on Sunday!

1 comment: