Friday, February 7, 2014

Scan Update

Today Lyla had an MRI, MRV and MRA. She did great with the sedation process and impressed all of the nurses and anesthesiologists by being such a pro. We got to the hospital around 8:40 and waited until about 930 to go back to a room. She got her port accessed, changed into some Jammie's and was ready for sedation at 1015. She did a great job drifting off the sleep and Masud and I headed back to be our stuff from the room. While we were waiting to see if they wanted us to take her wheelchair with or leave it there, the person in the room next to us had a Dr. Blue. The child was crying and they whisked her off to another room, so it must have been a parent. Hw scary! We hear Dr. Blue fairly often, but have never been close enough to see the mod of people descend on the room. 

After we made it back to the waiting room, Masud headed to work and I say and ate a sandwich I brought. I was signing up with the volunteer when a nurse came and asked if I was Emily because the doctor wanted to talk to me. Strange, I thought, but ok. 40 minutes later when they still hadn't come, I asked and it took three people to realize they were looking for the mom of a patient named Emily, not Lyla's mom Emily. Thanks for scaring me people!

Once  I knew I was free to go I headed over to the coffee shop and got a latte for a friend staying in the picu. Minneapolis is the one place we haven't been in the picu and it's quite a bit bigger/different from St. Paul. I found their room with no problems and was glad I could bring a little comfort to one of my mommy counterparts. I stayed and chatted for a few minutes, then headed back downstairs. After only about ten minutes they came and got me to be there whenever Lyla woke up. 

She was a little upset, and wanted Masud, but calmed down a little when she got some apple juice. They told me later the had given her a little versed in the pacu to keep her calm, which I could have told them wouldn't turn out well. She definitely knows it's what she got when they did her Botox and I'm sure it contributed to her emotional state. Anyway, we called Daddy and turned on some shows and she felt better. The nurse also brought her a root beer and then got her ready to go in short order. 

We headed over to the clinic after getting our coats and it wasn't long before Amy the NP came in to see us. She said the scan looked good and that Dr. Bendel's favorite neuroradiologist had read it. They agreed that things look stable and that there isn't any growth from November. The vascular system looks good too and they were no areas where the blood vessels were too thin or too fat. There was nothing to explain what school saw on Wednesday, but whatever it was, it wasn't caused by anything in her brain. 

Amy the NP



Today v. November


Vascular system, looking good!


What they DID find on the MRI was that Lyla has a raging sinus infection in 3 of the 5 sinus areas. This would explain why  she has a cough and stuffy nose but not any kind of chest cold. I asked why she wouldn't be complaining about her face hurting (because mine always does) and Amy said kids usually complain about their tummies, don't eat much, and don't sleep we'll, but not abut any pain. Lyla has had all those symptoms for a least a couple weeks. No wonder! This isn't the first time they have diagnosed a sinus infection via MRI for Lyla. It's nothing two weeks of antibiotics shouldn't fix. We might as well just buy Walgreens. 

We're home now and making spaghetti. Lyla seems to be doing just fine and hopefully after starting the new drugs tonight she'll start to feel better soon. Thanks to everyone who checked in today! We always appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment