Lyla made me a beautiful valentine at Faye's along with a special flower arrangement. Masud came home early for a family night and dinner together. I made dinner for him and he brought me a fun monkey valentine complete with sound effects!
I was feeling sick all weekend so we laid low. By Monday I could hardly talk and wasn't sleeping because my throat hurt so bad. Miserable and worried for Pandy too, I tripped it to Oxboro in the middle of a winter storm to see Dr. Randall. He checked Pandy first: his heart sounds good and he was measuring about a week ahead. Dr. Randal said his heartbeat sounds like a girl, but I told him the ultrasound tech was pretty sure he is a boy. After checking the kiddo, he asked me about my symptoms and said he would give me some antibiotics. No throat check, no listening to my lungs, just "I wonder if that's not an infection. I'll give you some ampicillin." Not sure if it was because of the pregnancy or what, but I was pretty surprised he just handed over the script. Either way, I'm glad because I started feeling better as soon as I took it. Four times a day is nuts, but if they work, they work!
Monday afternoon we had a PM&R visit with Sarah in Minnetonka. By that time the snow was over, but we were still late because I got the times mixed up. Since there was almost no one else there it wasn't a big deal and Sarah spent a good chunk of time testing Lyla's sensation, muscles, strength and watching her walk, run and hop. She is such an awesome doctor!
She was happy to see that Lyla is getting stronger and that she is able to enjoy the freedom her chemo-driven neuropathy allows. When I asked whether she thought it would go away again after Lyla finishes treatment she said no. Great news! She said that if this were all a result of the chemo/neuropathy Lyla would have less tone and be weaker.
Since she is considerably stronger, Sarah thinks the change is likely a result of nerve growth (since her scan showed no tumor change). That's awesome news because it means Lyla's body is still healing itself! Obviously her spinal cord injury will never fully heal, but as her nerves grow, she could get back more sensation in her limbs that will allow her more function than she had previously. I would also explain why her left diaphragm, while still lazy, is functioning more than it has in the past.
I was VERY excited to hear this news. I know it is because Sarah is so diligent and knows Lyla so well that she is able to determine this kind of stuff. She won't be practicing in the metro area anymore, so we'll have to road trip if we want to see her, but Masud said he thinks it's worth it and I agree. Especially since summer is coming and a trip up north for the doctor could easily be made into a family weekend -- with Pandy in tow!
Tuesday was the three year anniversary of Lyla's surgery. It's always an emotional day for me, but I cried less this year than last year. We are so fortunate to have access to such great treatment and medical care, not to mention such an awesome, hardworking kid. Since turning five Lyla seems much more grown up. Today she wore jeans and I couldn't get over how tall she has gotten. Faye said it too this week, "she's got legs!"
Lyla had a great conference at school this week. Miss Kim said she's a great student and is very focused at school. Other than being a little tired sometimes, she does great in class and is making excellent progress toward or surpassing all of her goals. Kim was very impressed at Lyla's patterning skills and when I told her I wasn't surprised because Lyla can do simple addition, she agreed to challenge Lyla more in class. Lyla is even reading a little now and gets very excited to pick up new words and skills. We're very proud of her!

No comments:
Post a Comment