I went to the doctor on Monday and hasn't made much progress on the dilation and effacement front despite Pandy being engaged in my pelvis. Dr. Randall had me come in for a biophysical profile on Tuesday to check baby's size and make sure everything was ready for him to come on out.
Dad drove me to the appointment and got to see Pandy on the screen with me. I was fun to see him. He is definitely a boy and has lots of hair! I didn't know you could even see hair on an ultrasound, but the tech pointed out several tufts. So cute! We had to wait a long time to see him use his diaphragm, but he finally did. He passed the profile at100%, but we found out his is quite large: 9lbs 13 oz as of Tuesday ( give or take 21oz). Big boy!
I called yesterday to see if Dr. Randall had seen the results of the scan and he hadn't do I had to wait for Becky to call me later. She got back to me around 10:15 and said the doctor wanted to see me in person to talk through my options. Thankfully Masud was able to pick me up and we got to the clinic around 11:30. Dr. Randall checked me and said I was more than 1 cm dilated, but not quite 2. A least I had made a little progress since Monday, but it wasn't much. He asked me, "are you interested in induction?" I said yes and he left o go get Dr. Cowing who will be on at the hospital today.
Dr. Cowling was very nice and talked through our options. She explained that in women without diabetes or gestational diabetes the cutoff for vaginal delivery is 5000g (11lbs). Right now Pandy is estimated around 4300g, so I have the choice to try and deliver vaginally. Dr. Randall said he thinks Pandy is between 9.5 and 10 lbs. I'm inclined to believe him given his 50 years of experience. Dr. cowling said she had delivered three 11lb babies vaginally in her career, but it was stressful for both mother and baby.
We recapped Lyla's birth story and how she was vacuumed out after two hours of pushing. Dr. Cowling said she would review Dr. Noonan's notes and get an idea of whether or not Lyla's shoulders were stuck. I told her that I distinctly remember him saying that my pelvis would accommodate her, but that I was just too tired so he would give me the option to try suction one time otherwise we would move to a section.
Dr. Cowling was very clear that for my safety and for Pandy's she will NOT offer suction as an option if she doesn't feel labor is progressing. Essentially, if things don't move along pretty smoothly on their own, she won't even let me get that close before saying a c-section is necessary. For all the things I have seen and put Lyla through, I am terrified to have surgery myself, but obviously if it's what's best for Pandy that's what we'll do.
Masud dropped me off at home and I got on a call for work. I did my best to multitask and tie things up during the call (I've been preparing for this for weeks, so it wasn't too hard) because shortly there after I had to leave for Lyla's school transition and IEP review meeting. Talk about squeezing things in under the wire! The meeting went very well -- I'll have to recap later -- and I was picking up Lyla around 4:15.
While she is excited to meet her brother, the reality of him being here hit her like a ton of bricks and she was immediately very sad, clingy and weepy. She is very worried about not getting snuggle time or play time once Pandy comes and chose to skip Family Connections in favor of one last night snuggling on the couch just us. I packed up my work stuff as soon as we got home ( boy did THAT feel good) and spent the rest of the night hanging out with my best girl. She approved the outfits I had packed for Pandy (now mostly three month size instead of the nb stuff that was in there earlier), and was happy with what I put in her bag for Grandma's.
Masud got home around 5:30 and we had dinner together and watched Survivor. We recapped our favorite times as a family of three and then my two peas in a pod hung out while I frantically picked up the house, readied the changing table, and put the car seats in the Jeep (we just got it back from the shop yesterday and it's like new, detailed and everything). I guess nesting can happen even when things aren't progressing naturally!
It took Lyla and me a long time to fall asleep because we were both anxious. She told me she is very nervous and we ran through the schedule for the day several times. I told her I am nervous to have two kids and that I hope I am a good enough mom for both of them. She said she knows how to take care of babies because she watches Faye and agreed to teach me what I need to know. And then we finally snuggled up and fell asleep.
Assuming we get to go in on time, we're now about two hours from the start of induction. Obviously I am up way early in anticipation. I'm anxious and don't like not knowing what the day will bring, but i'm SO excited to meet not-so-little Pandy! I'll update when I can. Baby Mamun is coming!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment