Two weeks ago we had Lyla's IEP review meeting at school. She got a very good report and is doing very well in school, but I was a little discouraged after hearing them nit pick on the little things (like holding a cup the way they want her to). Then there were some things that they said she needs to work on that I KNOW she can do because she does them at home. For example:
Taking off her coat by herself: As evidenced below, Lyla can take off her coat by herself. this time she used a little leverage from the stack of soda, but she can also do it without holding on to anything.
Going down stairs: Chris the PT said that at school, Lyla goes down at most two stairs before sitting down and not wanting to go any farther. With a gait belt. And a hand held assist. Hrmmmm ... she doesn't seem to need either at home.
I know this is a common problem. Other parents have said their kids do a lot more at home than at school too. I just don't like that they treat her like she can't do it when really, she can! Give the kid a little credit!
I think that her hanging up her coat after she took it off is MORE impressive than taking it off!! She even looked to find the hood! She is a smartie pants :) Don't worry about school you know she can do it!
ReplyDeleteMaybe they're just too impatient to give her a minute to do it? Go Lyla!
ReplyDelete