Friday, January 18, 2013

ENT Visit and Upcoming Bronchoscopy



This week we finally went for a follow up with Lyla's ENT Dr. Malone. We hadn't seen her since shortly after Lyla was her trach placed and probably wouldn't have gone in if not for Lyla's breathing issues during her recent MRI. Dr. Bendel thought it best that we follow up with Dr. Malone before Lyla's next scan in March to make sure there is no obstruction in Lyla's airway that would be causing the problems.

Tuesday afternoon I picked Lyla up from school and took her to lunch at McDonald's before making our way to downtown St. Paul. Good thing I allowed extra time, because after parking in the blue ramp, it took us about 20 minutes to walk all the way to the Nassef Specialty Center and go potty before heading up to Dr. Malone's office.

The office was nice, but not really a place for kids. Since it was our first visit, I had to fill in all kinds of history paperwork with ridiculous questions like, "Have you ever had a surgery? If yes, please list all surgeries and the dates on which they were performed." And then they give two tiny notebook lines on which to write the information. Really? REALLY?! What kind of joke is that?

And then I got to explain to the nurse that Lyla has no breathing issues and isn't making any weird sounds when she sleeps, "runs" or does activity. Yes, I realize that doesn't make sense. Yes, I realize there's no real reason to be here. Yes, I realize the doctor is not going to do anything. What part of We Were Told To Come Here don't you understand?

Thankfully, Dr. Malone was in the know and told me right away that she had had some emails from Dr. Bendel. She checked Lyla's ears, nose, and throat, then listened to her breathe through her scar. She asked me a bunch of questions very similar to what the nurse asked and I gave her the same answers. Then she told me what I already knew -- Lyla is most likely fine with no obstruction or airway issues, but the only way to rule that out is to do a bronchoscopy. She said we don't have to do it, but until we do, we can't rule that out as the cause of Lyla's breathing issues under sedation.

So -- yay! -- Lyla will be having a bronch in a couple weeks. If there happens to be anything in there, Dr. Malone can laser it off at that time. I'm hopeful we will be going home the same evening. We also have to do a follow up a week later. In Woodbury. In the middle of the day. Great. Not so excited about all this, but hopefully this will rule out any airway issues.

Dr. Malone thought Lyla looked great and was happy to see her doing so well. She hadn't seen Lyla since she couldn't move and they had fun talking and playing with Baby Belle together.

That's the latest! Busy times -- and a birthday -- ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment