Sunday, November 15, 2015

Gratitude!


The week flew by thanks to karate every night! We've got much to be thankful for this season. Amir is digging Alphie and like to push buttons and play with the cards. Anything that gets him to sit still for a few minutes is definitely something I'm thankful for. He loves to climb and open drawers and bookshelves. He made his own secret passageway through the toy shelf to get onto Lyla's bed and reach the toys I deliberately put out of reach. He also delights in sitting on the kitchen table, Danimals smoothies, and applesauce squeezes. 


Lyla is reading up a storm these days and finished her first chapter book last week! She loves Junie B. Jones, but hasn't had the confidence to read one on her own. She did great when we read together, so I told her I would get her shopkins basket if she finished -- and she did! But they were out of shopkins baskets, so she got a radz candy dispenser instead. Faye said she's spoiled, but why shouldn't she be?! She worked hard! Grateful for a kiddo who loves to read and laughs about the story days after she's finished.


We turned our Halloween pumpkin into a turkey with feathers saying why we're thankful for. We have feather for each family member, the grandparents, Herky, school, taco meat, and blanket. Lyla did a special pink one that says "I am thankful for my family I my heart." These simple things really do make our lives full.


Gratitude is this month's these at karate. Lyla did a worksheet and list crayons, food, and games as things she's thankful for at home. She's also totally psyched to be part of the leadership program! We signed her up for a full year of Tae Kwon Do and she's already asking to go every night. In the past week she has gone from a girl with no patched to turtle patch, leadership patch, a fast-filling star tag, and both her brown and green stripes! 




It's a big commitment to go every night, but she loves it. LOVES it. She lights up when she's in class and can't wait to learn more. She's also practicing at home and keeping up with her task and good deed charts (she earns stars for her tag by completing daily routine things like making her bed and brushing her teeth or doing good deeds). Now that we know which nights are a better fit, we'll probably do Monday, Wednesday, Friday. We were doing Tuesday and Thursday before, but we found out those nights are nuts (24 kids) compared to Wednesday (9 kids). Then again, she might just want to go every night -- we never said THAT about PT!


Friday I played hooky in the afternoon and Lyla and I went to see the Peanuts movie. School was closed for conferences. It was fun to have an outing just us girls. She also got very excited for the Kung Fu Panda 3 display and preview. I' my thinking it will be a Kung Fu Panda birthday since the movie comes out right after her day. 


Did I mention they learn weapons in leadership? She get her sword, nunchuck and baton weapons this week as well. She'll learn the sword form first and test on it in January. She'll also have to break a board to test. This is intense I tell ya! They had to order in her board, so we won't get it until late next week. Oh, and she also took the XMA class on Saturday where they do tumbling and other "extreme martial arts". You have to be top notch to do XMA, and I honestly wasn't sure how she would do, but she killed it! She was doing somersaults and back bends in addition to the XMA form. Nothing's gonna stop this kid! Though she was totally exhausted after doing her regular class and the XMA class in a row. 


I love seeing these two together. They're getting closer all the time and starting to develop their sister/brother bond. Amir says his name now and calls Lyla "Sissy". He wants to be just like her and loves when she reads to him. He's also picking up some karate moves. And says, "Thank you Mama," which is the cutest thing I have ever heard. 

Masud and I will hit 13 years married in a couple weeks. Look at the life we have built together! Our family is tops on the list of things for which I'm thankful. We are so blessed to have a wonderful family, friends, and a warm and cozy home!

No comments:

Post a Comment